Tired of the same old pizza from the chain restaurants? Drive thru burgers got you down? Try a little different take on the same 'ol fast food fare.
We love homemade pizza - the kids will love it and you control the nutritional value of dinner by using fresh ingredients and low fat cheese.
Put this pizza on our whole wheat dough and you have pizza for a crowd! This recipe will make 3 pita pizzas or one thin crust pizza with 6 slices.
- 3 6" whole wheat pitas or 1 12" thin crust pizza
- 9 oz lean ground meat - you can use ground turkey or chicken if you prefer.
- 3 tablespoons Burger Blast seasoning
- 1/2 cup jar marinara sauce
- 1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 plum tomato, sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- On medium high heat, combine meat and seasoning in a skillet.
- Cook until meat is browned. If meat becomes dry add about 1/4 cup water to the mixture
- Place 3 whole wheat pitas on a cookie sheet and divide salsa, spreading each pizza with marinara sauce leaving an edge on the pita
- Divide seasoned, cooked meat and spread evenly on each pizza
- Divide cheese and sprinkle evenly over each pizza
- Bake in oven about 8 - 10 minutes until cheese melts and pita is crispy
- Divide red onions and sprinkle evenly over each pizza