Fried Egg and Avocado Sandwich
This is an open-faced sandwich, so it is very visually appealing, especially with a beautiful fried egg on top. Drizzling the mayonnaise on the top gives it just a little more oomph. This recipe will only take you about 20-30 minutes to throw together, so it’s a beautiful dish that won’t take much away from your post-work relaxation time.
This recipe is very nutrient dense, so it has a lot of calories, but it also has a lot of good stuff too. One is just enough, and it can be paired with some fresh fruit for a balance of heavy and light, savory and sweet. Watermelon would pair excellently with this dish.
For an extra kick of delicious flavor, we used our Peruvian Kebab Seasoning. This blend is garlicky, salty, and slightly spicy, with a heat that hits the back of the throat. Say what you want about avocados, but they can only taste better when they are accompanied by such a delicious seasoning blend.
We used whole wheat muffins as our sandwich base. The bacon was thick cut bacon, which can be replaced with a thinner cut, but if you’re going to eat bacon why not just go for the most amount of bacon in a mouthful that you can? Green leaf lettuce was our lettuce of choice, but romaine or boston lettuce would be good too. Boston lettuce is quite juicy and crunchy.
Jeff made homemade mayonnaise for this recipe, but your favorite store bought is okay if you don’t have the time to make your own. The mayonnaise can made smoky by the addition of spices like smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, 2 Tbsp water, Peruvian Kebob seasoning, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy, about 8 minutes. Place on plate with paper towel to drain.
- Meanwhile, toast the English muffins. Place avocado on bottom first, then bacon (1 slice cut into two pieces), lettuce, and tomato. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
- In the same skillet the bacon was cooked in, over medium heat, cook your eggs to desired doneness. Place on top of sandwich.
- Drizzle a bit of the mayonnaise mixture on top, put lid on top and serve.