Noodle Salad with Jicama and Miso Vinaigrette
This Asian inspired recipe is quick and easy to make. Heavy on vegetables and light on those delicious cold rice noodles, it is a healthy option for both lunch and dinner. The taste of this salad is sure to be something you have never had before. It only takes about twenty minutes to prepare, so you have more time to go hang out in the sun after you’ve finished eating.
If you have never had jicama before, it is a very different kind of vegetable. It has a similar look and texture to a potato minus the starchiness but a semi-sweetness of a pear. This is a fresh flavor that really contributes to the overall excitement of the salad.
The summertime vibe thrown off by this salad is not lost on the person about to eat it. The beautiful stark whiteness of the noodles and the softness of the yellow cherry tomatoes are complimented by the purple cabbage. Over time, the purple cabbage tints the white noodles with a light purple, which is an interesting thing to see happen.
Everyone who tried this salad liked it. Sometimes it is easy to be thrown off by cold noodles in a recipe but that wasn’t the case with this salad. It was exceptionally refreshing and perfect for the kind of day where the temperature is warm but not quite sweltering. Top this salad with black sesame seeds for even more of a color contrast and enjoy.
- 4 oz. rice vermicelli noodles, cooked
- 3 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 mini cucumbers, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1/2 small red cabbage, shredded
- 1 small jicama, cut into matchsticks
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Red Miso Powder
- Cook the rice vermicelli according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water and drain very well.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the sesame oil, miso, vinegar, honey, and soy sauce with 2 Tbsp water.
- Peel the jicama and cut into matchsticks. Halve the cucumbers lengthwise and thinly slice. Shred the cabbage and halve the tomatoes.
- Toss all the ingredients in a bowl and serve!