Extra virgin olive oil, or EVOO, is a health trend that is extremely popular right now and likely to not let up any time soon. Even though olive oil is high in fat, it is the type of fat that is good for your heart. For this reason we love to use olive oil instead of butter whenever we can. Not only is olive oil good as a butter substitute, it also adds flavor to your meal. This is especially true when it comes to infused oils. EVOO has been infused with any number of food items from herbs to chiles to fruit, and the best part is that it's simple to make your own infused oil with the right directions.
Our Achiote Oil is a type of infused EVOO. Achiote, also known as Annatto, seeds are used to infuse the oil with a peppermint or flowery scent and a flavor profile that is delicate, mildly sweet with a slight peppery taste and earthy and flowery undertones. Annatto seeds are used as a dye in dairy products such as cheese and butter, but are called Achiote seeds when used in baking and cooking.
- 1/4 cup Annatto Seeds
- 2 cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Add Achiote Seeds and olive oil to a small skillet.
- Cook over medium heat until the oil is warm.
- Reduce heat to low and let the seeds infuse the oil for 2-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Strain the oil (tossing any remaining seeds).
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.