Chili Lime Walnuts
While spiced nuts are a great holiday favorite they are usually loaded with salt and sugar - not these delightfully spiced walnuts! The challenge with most spiced nut recipes comes from selecting the binding agent. What do you choose to hold the spices to the nuts? Usually, this means butter, eggs, buttermilk, or water. But for this recipe, we used fresh lime juice. Talk about a zesty twist!
We also used our spicy Manzanillo Mexican Seasoning for some extra kick without burning your taste buds. Spiced nuts are a healthy way to get good fats and walnuts are greatly underappreciated.
A recent scientific report showed that walnuts have a combination of more healthful and higher quality antioxidants than any other nut. So good for you and tastes great - can't beat that combination! These are so good you'll want them year-round and not just for the holidays!
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F
- Whisk lime juice, Manzanillo Mexican Seasoning, Lime Peel, and Coarse Sea Salt in a large bowl.
- Let the mixture sit for about 5-10 mins to allow Lime Peel to rehydrate.
- Add walnuts and toss to coat.
- Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven, stirring every 15 minutes for 45 minutes.
- Let cool and store for about 1-2 weeks in an airtight container.