Colombo Curried Grilled Clams
With grilling season solidly upon us, we are serving up steaks, burgers, chicken and vegetables with wild abandon. But how about seafood? Salmon, tuna and other meaty pieces are perfect for grilling, and if you haven't considered clams maybe you should.
Hard shell clams are very easy to prepare on the grill and are rich in iron and Omega 3's and per serving have roughly as much lean protein as chicken. 1 serving of littleneck clams is 3oz without the shells or about 12 small clams with the shells. A pound of littleneck clams should have about 8-12 clams.
There is some prep work when using clams. Rinse them in cool water and gently scrub the outer shell to release any residual dirt or sand. If any of the clams are open, tap them and they should close up. If not, toss them, as they are not good. I also let the clams hang out in a bowl of salted water for about 3 hours prior to cooking. Remove the clams and discard the water before use.
Colombo powder does not get its subtle heat from chiles like most curry powders, but instead from brown mustard and black pepper. The result is a sharper flavor with less heat than more traditional Indian curries. Our Colombo Powder is hand blended from coriander, fenugreek, turmeric, brown mustard, black pepper, cumin, cloves and long grain white rice (as a thickener).
This recipe would work well as an appetizer or served with a salad or grilled vegetables as a main dish. Spaghetti Vongole is another clam recipe that we really enjoyed.
- 4 Lbs littleneck or other hard shell clams. Prepare approximately 8-12 per person.
- 1 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Columbo Powder
- 2 lemons cut into quarters
- Rinse and soak the clams as described above.
- Heat grill to medium high, indirect heat.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter and add olive oil and Colombo Powder.
- Place the clams on the grill or in a vegetable basket on the grill.
- Close grill cover and let the clams cook about 8 minutes or until they open.
- Remove them to a serving platter and drizzle the Colombo butter evenly into each of the clams.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and serve immediately.