Grilled Salmon Burger with Horseradish Dressing
At our house, we just can't get enough of burgers on the grill. Beef burgers, turkey burgers and yes, even salmon burgers. Salmon burgers are easy to prepare and take just a few minutes on the grill. Salmon is also an excellent source of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, so an excellent choice if you are trying to eat the recommended 2 servings of salmon per week.
We are able to get our salmon ground from our friends at Wild For Salmon. If you purchase filets just remove the skin and put about 1/4 to 1/2 of the salmon in a food processor. Finely chop the remaining meat and combine it with the salmon from the food processor. The salmon in the food processor becomes the binder to help the burger hold together and the chopped salmon helps the burger retain moisture and not become so dry.
Horseradish sauce really gives this burger a zing! To make the sauce a little healthier we used our Horseradish Powder with non-fat plain yogurt instead of mayonnaise. Sour cream is also an option.
Our Wild For Salmon seasoning is hand blended with brown sugar, paprika, sea salt, black pepper, cacao powder, cumin and red pepper flakes.
- Preheat grill to medium high, direct heat.
- Prepare the horseradish sauce by combining the Greek yogurt and horseradish powder, stir until smooth.
- Let the sauce sit for 30 minutes for the flavor and heat to develop.
- In a glass dish combine ground salmon, egg, panko crumbs and Wild For Salmon seasoning.
- Gently mix with a fork or fingers to combine - do not overwork.
- Divide the salmon mixture into 4 even portions and shape each portion into a patty.
- Gently place the burgers on a clean and oiled grill.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until salmon is cooked through.
- Serve burgers on buns with salmon burger, horseradish sauce and alfalfa sprouts.