Smoky Molasses Rub BBQ Sauce
We always like creating our own sauces and condiments. While there are many commercial products to choose from when looking for BBQ sauce, making your own allows you to create a signature flavor while also controlling ingredients such as sugar, salt, fat and preservatives.
Our Smoky Molasses BBQ Rub is a perfect compliment to grilled chicken, but can also be a flavorful sauce for slow smoked, pulled chicken. This sauce is closer to a North Carolina vinegar sauce without as much sweetness. Adding molasses produces a rich flavor and slight sweetness that works well with the flavors from our Smoky Molasses Rub which is hand blended from granulated molasses, demerara sugar, orange, smoked Hickory salt, garlic, onion, chipotle, paprika and red bell pepper.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Smoky Molasses Rub
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, add butter and onions and cook 2-3 minutes until onions begin to soften.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cool and use immediately or refrigerate for up to a week.