These are some heavenly spiced almonds and our La Vera Smoked Sweet Paprika, De Arbol Chile powder, and sweet Granulated Brown Sugar give these almonds an intense, rich, and smoky flavor. We're big fans of De Arbol Chile powder over the more common Cayenne Pepper as many competition chili chefs find the flavor of the de Arbol peppers to be superior to other chile peppers.
Our top-quality La Vera Smoked Sweet Paprika is made the traditional way by drying freshly harvested ripe red pimento peppers that are then taken to small smokehouses that line the fields and are dried over a smoldering fire that is always smoke, never flames, and then they are pulverized into the red powder you know as paprika.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F
- Whisk brown sugar, Ground Cumin, Paprika, Thyme, Salt and Chile Powder in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg white and water in a medium bowl until foamy.
- Add almonds to egg white mixture and toss to coat.
- Drain any excess egg mixture and add almonds to the spices and toss again to coat with spices.
- Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Bake in oven, stirring every 15 minutes for 45 minutes.
- Let cool and store about 1-2 weeks in an airtight container.