Black Bean Brownies
These brownies are chocolatey, decadent, and delicious, and can turn even the most notoriously picky eater, into believing they are eating a classic fudge brownie when they are really eating black beans. The tricky little legumes take the place of flour for this recipe and leave you with a luscious dessert full of chocolate flavor and a little less guilt than had you reached for the classic boxed brownie.
Our Black Onyx Cocoa Powder gives these brownies the ultra-dark color and deep chocolate flavor with just a hint of bitter chocolate. Organic Coconut Sugar has a similar flavor profile to light brown sugar, with caramel-like undertones that give a nice mild sweetness to this dessert.
This recipe is best prepared in a food processor to get the desired consistency of the black beans. If you choose to use canned black beans, choose a no-salt variety or omit the added salt in the recipe. Stir the chocolate chips into the batter before baking to create chocolate pockets that give a little flavor rush when biting into the brownie. Chopped walnuts can be added to the top of the batter and provide a nice crunch, but are optional and can be omitted if desired.
These brownies will go fast, but if there are extras they can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 5-7 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw and microwave for about 10-15 seconds to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Grease the paper with cooking oil spray, and set the pan aside.
- In a food processor process black beans until completely mashed.
- To the beans, add eggs, Organic Pure Vanilla Extract, Black Onyx Powder, baking powder, salt, Organic Coconut Sugar, and coconut oil. Process until smooth with a thick batter consistency.
- Add dark chocolate chips to the batter and mix with a spoon to combine.
- Pour batter into the baking pan and sprinkle walnuts on top of the brownies.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the brownies comes out clean.
- Let cool, cut into 9 squares, and serve.