Chili Lime Steak Quesadilla
Quesadillas are one of my favorite foods. They are easy to prepare, are warm and cheesy and can be made from any number of ingredients. Quesadillas can be eaten at almost any time of day. They're great as a snack or appetizer or a portable dinner for the kids between the 50 activities they have planned for the day. Everyone loves a traditional quesadilla with cheese and either chicken or steak, but sometimes it's nice to add a few extras and give it that gourmet kinda feel - because its the little things that can make all the difference. This easy quesadilla recipe will do exactly that.
Our zesty Chili Lime steak quesadilla is bursting with flavor. This is the perfect combination of ingredients to help brighten your food and take it to the next level.
We used whole wheat flour tortillas for this recipe so we can feel less guilty about eating a serving (or two). You can use regular white flour tortillas if you would like for your taste or texture preferences.
Chili Lime Rub is hand blend from lime zest, aji amarillo chiles, ancho chiles, coriander, annatto, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, black pepper, sea salt, Mexican oregano and makrut lime leaves.
Another one of our favorite quesadilla recipes is the Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla.
- 16 oz sirloin steak
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Lime Rub
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp Granulated Molasses or brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 red or green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced fat monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 whole wheat flour tortillas 8"
- salsa verde, sour cream, lime wedges for garnish
- In a bowl, combine the steak, Chili Lime Rub, lime juice and 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Make sure that meat is evenly covered with mixture.
- In a large skillet heat remaining Tablespoon olive oil to medium high heat.
- Add butter and stir until melted.
- Add onions and sugar, reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook onions for 30 -45 minutes until they are very soft and dark brown, stirring often.
- Add balsamic vinegar and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and cook until peppers start to soften and are warm.
- Brush the grill or a heavy skillet with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Remove steak from marinade and grill 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked to medium.
- Remove steak from grill and let rest for 5 minutes and slice.
- Put 1/4 of the steak and 1/4 of the onions and peppers and 1/4 of the cheese on 1/2 of each tortilla.
- Fold the other 1/2 of the tortilla over the mixture and press firmly.
- Place tortilla on the grill.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes on each side, until inside is heated through and cheese is melted.
- Remove from grill, allow to cool for 2-3 minutes and cut the tortilla into 3 wedges.
- Repeat process for the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa verde and lime wedges. (Not included in nutritional data)