Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup
Winter cold weather inspires me to bring out the slow cooker. This truly is a chicken soup that will warm the soul ... and everything else. The ingredients are simple and healthy and the recipe is so easy. Put this soup on in the morning and cozy up with a warm bowl of goodness by the afternoon.
Adding a package of frozen vegetables add nutrients and flavor to the soup. We recommend hearty vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower and beans. If you choose to add a more delicate vegetable like peas, add them just before you add the flour/milk mixture so they don't overcook and turn to mush. Our Italian Seasoning adds a rich and mellow flavor and is hand blended with rosemary, basil, oregano, sage and marjoram.
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/4 teaspoon California Granulated Garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Organic Ground Black Pepper Medium Grind
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 package frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups 1% milk
- In a large slow cooker, combine rice, celery, carrot, onion, Granulated Garlic, Black Pepper, Italian Seasoning, chicken, Bay Leaves, chicken broth, water and frozen vegetables.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 1/2 hours.
- After 3 1/2 hours cooking, remove the chicken breast and Bay Leaves, cool the chicken for 5 minutes and discard Bay Leaves.
- With 2 forks, shred the chicken and return it to the slow cooker
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour and cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly until combined and flour is cooked through.
- Carefully and slowly add milk to the flour mixture, whisking constantly to prevent lumps.
- Cook 3-5 minutes until mixture begins to thicken to a gravy consistency.
- Turn the slow cooker to low and add the flour/milk mixture to the soup, stirring to combine.
- Continue cooking on low an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve hot