Grilled Steak Taco with Chimichurri Sauce
This recipe takes the taco to a whole new level. The fertile farmlands of Argentina and it's savory grilled beef become the inspiration behind this tasty dish. In Argentina, grilled meat is referred to as "Churrasco" and is typically grilled over a custom made barbecue grill. This grill is made so that long skewers of meat can be set on top of it, where an American grill would have grill grates. Many different types of meat are cooked at the same time.
Dishes made from these grilled meats are a staple of Argentinian cuisine and are almost always served with a brightly colored sauce called chimichurri. Chimichurri sauce is a pesto type of sauce or salsa that commonly accompanies smoky grilled beef and grilled chicken. We chose a flank steak, but a skirt steak or tri-tip would work too. The idea is to grill or even 'char' the outside of the steak while leaving the inside of the steak medium rare to medium.
Not only do we serve these tacos with a drizzle of Chimichurri Sauce, but we used our Chimichurri Seasoning as part of the meat marinade. Our Chimichurri Seasoning is hand blended from Smoked sweet paprika, black pepper, parsley, garlic, basil, lemon peel, oregano, thyme and Aji Amarillo.
- In a bowl, mix together orange juice, lime juice, soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, cilantro and Chimichurri Seasoning.
- Place steak in a baking dish and pour marinade over the meat.
- Marinate for up to 3 hours in the refrigerator and then 30 minutes at room temperature before grilling.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat with areas for both direct heat and indirect heat.
- Remove meat from marinade and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place meat over the direct heat for about 2 minutes on each side and then move to the indirect heat and grill for another 2-3 minutes on each side or until steak has reached the desired doneness.
- Remove meat from grill and let rest.
- While meat is resting, warm tortillas by loosly wrapping them in foil and placing them over indirect heat on the grill for 2-3 minutes, turning halfway through grilling, until they are warm and pliable.
- Slice meat against the grain, place 2-3 pieces of meat on a tortilla, add greens and drizzle 1 Tablespoon Chimichurri Sauce over each taco.