Honey and Soy Glazed Chicken
As you know, I love the slow cooker - especially for chicken. It's just so nice to be able to throw some ingredients together that are plain on their own, but emerge as a culinary masterpiece after a few hours. This Honey and Soy Glazed Chicken was perfect for a slow and low cooking. The total cooking time for this dish was 3 hours and was well worth the wait. A few simple ingredients can really go a long way and this recipe is a perfect example of that.
The mixture of soy sauce and honey, along with the other spices and flavors come together to form a perfect balance of sweet and tangy. This is the perfect compliment to rice. We used white rice for this recipe, but for a healthier version feel free to use brown rice or Basmati rice.
If slow cooking is not your thing - you can combine all the ingredients in a baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. This meal is a good source of Protein, Niacin and Vitamin B6, but it is high in sugar (dang that sweet honey!).
- 1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup agave nectar or honey
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon California Minced Onion
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste - I buy mine in a tube, but it's also available in a can
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Place chicken breasts into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients, except for the rice. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cook on low for 3 hours or on high for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and cut into small, bite sized pieces, return to slow cooker and toss to coat all pieces with sauce.
- Serve with rice.