Manzanillo Scrambled Eggs in Crispy Wonton Shells
They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. The only problem is that mornings can be the time of day when I feel that I have no time at all! Whether it's work, errands or taking the kids to school, there's a good chance that I don't have much time between getting ready and rushing out the door to prepare a healthy and delicious breakfast.
These adorable little Baked Egg Taco Cups are the perfect breakfast to grab and take on the go. But they are also great for a breakfast at home, especially if you are having guests visit. My favorite part is how easy they were to make compared to how extravagant they look. They can easily be thrown together and baked at a moments notice - perfect for brunch or a shower.
The light and crispy wontons keep the mini scramble egg cups together while giving them a little bit of crunchy texture. This egg dish is a creative and delicious fusion of Asian and Mexican cuisines. Wontons are typically used to make small pockets that are stuffed with meat and other ingredients and then either baked, or most likely fried in oil. We took these crunchy wontons and filled them with spicy scrambled eggs for an unexpectedly delicious morning treat.
We used our Manzanillo Mexican Seasoning to give these eggs a little extra heat and savory yet spicy flavor. Our Manzanillo Mexican Seasoning is hand blended with ancho, pasilla, black pepper, garlic, chipotle, onion, coriander, Mexican oregano and cumin. It's not only good for scrambled eggs, either! Try it with chicken, seafood, or even a hearty mac and cheese.
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup low fat cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 Tbsp full fat half and half or low fat milk
- 1 Tbsp Manzanillo Mexican Seasoning
- 24 square wonton wrappers 3"x3"
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place 2 wontons in each section of a 12 cupcake baking pan, turning the second wonton 1/4 turn before placing it on the first.
- Gently press the wontons down into pan forming a cup with 4 points.
- Evenly divide the onions, tomatoes, green peppers and cheese on the bottom of each cup.
- Whisk together eggs, milk and seasoning.
- Carefully spoon equal amounts of egg into each cup so they are about 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes until eggs set and wontons are crispy.
- Serve warm or cool completely and store in the refrigerator for a quick breakfast to go.