Milan Shrimp Grilled Pizza
With the start of warm weather, it's time to get outside again. Working in the garden, playing in the yard and of course, cooking and dining outside. Pizza on the grill is an easy way to incorporate some of those fresh garden ingredients and use the grill for preparing them. It is also an extremely easy way to feed the entire family while using fresh ingredients.
Over the past few years, we have been researching all different types of food. We especially like healthy food that is also delicious. One of the healthiest types of food in the world is California cuisine, which of course includes the beloved California pizza. California pizza is unique in its toppings; fresh ingredients are key and can include anything, like chicken, eggs, vegetables and cheeses. This is where we got the inspiration for our Milan Shrimp Grilled Pizza. For our recipe we used tomatoes, zucchini, onions and alfalfa sprouts, but you can also add or substitute any fresh veggies that you might have hanging around.
You can use your favorite pre-made pizza dough for this recipe, or make your own. Just remember that the crust should be golden brown and firm on the bottom before removing it from the oven.
For this pizza we used our Milan Bread Dipping Seasoning. It's good for a lot more than just bread dipping. We use this blend anywhere that we would also use Italian Seasoning. One of our employees even uses this blend on bacon, or anything else that can be cooked in a pan for that matter! The flavor profile of our Milan Bread Dipping Seasoning is garlicy with subtle tomato flavor and hints of tarragon.
- 1 pound medium to large shrimp, cleaned and tails removed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon Milan Bread Dipping Seasoning
- 1 large tomato, cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- One 12" pizza crust
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced or shredded
- 1 medium to large zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- Preheat grill to medium, indirect heat.
- In a glass dish combine shrimp, olive oil, lemon juice and Milan Seasoning, toss to coat all of the shrimp evenly.
- Thread shrimp on skewers.
- In a blender or food processor combine tomato, Italian Seasoning, water, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes and Kosher Salt.
- Blend until tomatoes are pureed, but still have some texture, about 30 - 45 seconds.
- Place shrimp on the grill and cook over indirect heat for about 2 minutes on each side. You want the shrimp to take on a pink color, but not fully cooked.
- Remove shrimp from grill and remove the skewers.
- If your pizza dough is not pre-baked, place it on the oiled grill and bake for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Spread a thin layer of the tomato puree over the pizza dough.
- Arrange mozzarella slices over the tomato puree, then layer on the zucchini and shrimp.
- Carefully return the pizza to the grill and bake for 8-10 minutes until the crust is golden brown, the mozzarella has melted and the shrimp is fully cooked.
- Top with alfalfa sprouts and red onion, and serve