Quinoa, Watermelon and Feta Salad with Naples Vinaigrette
We're always looking for great summer salads that incorporate fresh fruit when it is in season. In this instance, we had a large, ripe watermelon and needed something to pair with it (although we could probably eat the entire thing by itself). We also wanted to make a meal that was delicious and filling without making you feel weighed down and tired. This salad is refreshing on a nice hot day with plenty of texture and cheesy goodness to make it a new family favorite (and some added health benefits).
Quinoa. Love it? Hate it? Have absolutely no idea what it is? Quinoa is an ancient grain that is high in protein, essential amino acids, antioxidants and fiber. It has been considered a 'super food' because of it's nutritional qualities. Quinoa has three main types, red, white and black and can be found in most grocers or natural food stores. It has a nutty, crunchy taste but can be bitter if not prepared correctly.
One thing that we like about quinoa is it's ability to compliment both sweet and savory foods. This light and healthy salad pairs red quinoa with fresh watermelon, feta cheese and an easy to prepare vinaigrette made with our Naples Seasoning. Naples Seasoning is hand blended from toasted onion, oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, roasted garlic, red bell pepper and marjoram.
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed well
- 2 cups watermelon, diced
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 large or 2 lemons, juiced (about 3-4 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup good quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Naples seasoning
- Cook quinoa according to the package directions, let cool completely.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice and Naples Seasoning. Slowly add the olive oil while whisking to combine until dressing comes together in a thick emulsion
- In a medium bowl combine the cooled quinoa, watermelon, feta and cucumber.
- Add vinaigrette and mix thoroughly. Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve cold.