Southwestern Egg Rolls
Looking for a unique idea for party appetizers? These Southwestern egg rolls are a fusion twist, a cross between a crispy egg roll and a savory burrito. We wrapped these little handhelds with egg roll wrappers for ease and for size. We used ground turkey but you could also use chicken, or keep it vegetarian and use black beans as your main protein. To help lighten up our egg rolls, we baked them instead of frying them. Mix sour cream and Manzanillo Mexican Seasoning for a quick dipping sauce.
They can be prepared earlier in the day, refrigerated, and reheated in the oven just before guests arrive. Plan for about two per guest if served as an appetizer. We've eaten these as part of a light dinner with a side salad. Two to three each makes a nice meal with a filling side handy, and you'll find it easy to gobble more than just a couple!
- 20 ounces ground turkey
- 1 Tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1, 15 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1, 15 ounce can black beans, drained and washed
- 1 teaspoon California Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1, 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with chile peppers, drained
- 1, 8 ounce package shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 25 egg roll wraps
- olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Warm olive oil in a large pan, then add turkey and cook over medium heat.
- In a large bowl combine corn, black beans, tomatoes, spices, and cheese
- Drain the cooked ground turkey and add to the bowl
- Place mixture into the bottom 1/3 of egg roll wrapper
- Fold the top corner of the wrapper over the filling, tucking the tip of the corner under the filling - fold left and right corners over the filling
- Brush the remaining corner lightly with water and tightly roll filled end toward the remaining corner and gently press to seal
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray and place egg rolls on sheet
- Spray tops of egg roll with olive oil cooking spray
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown