Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage and Roasted Vegetables
Sausage can be used in combination with many ingredients to create delicious meals that don't have to be eaten for breakfast. This super simple recipe brings together the very best flavors of Fall. It is a healthy dish and if you peel and cut the vegetables in advance can be on the table in about 30 minutes.
Roasting vegetables like carrots, parsnips and butternut squash with olive oil creates a creamy texture and caramelization that gives this dish an extra layer of sweetness. Add in the roasted granny smith apple, dried spices and chicken sausage and you have the perfect balance of sweet and savory.
We used al fresco Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage, there are other brands available, just check the ingredients and make sure the chicken is skinless and the sausage isn't loaded with fillers.
- 12 oz sweet apple chicken sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and cut into cubes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon Rubbed Sage
- 1 Tablespoon Thyme Leaf
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Combine all ingredients except the balsamic vinegar in a large bowl.
- Toss to coat
- Spread mixture on a large baking sheet
- Roast about 30 minutes until vegetables are tender and sausage is heated, stirring once
- Transfer to platter, drizzle with balsamic vinegar - serve