Zesty Grilled Jalapeno Chicken
Jalapenos are a very popular chile in Mexican cuisine. They were one of the first chiles introduced to the United States from an outside source and they continue to be a common ingredient in both Mexican and American cuisines.
Chicken breast is the meat of choice for this recipe because it is thick and juicy. When marinating your chicken breast, give it as much time as you want. Up to 12 hours is great, but you need at least 2 hours. The prep time for this recipe is absolutely worth it, as the rest of the recipe comes together easily and the results are extremely satisfying.
The recipe calls for a tablespoon of our Adobo Lime Rub, but you could substitute that for a teaspoon of ground cumin and a teaspoon or Mexican oregano. The Adobo Lime Rub really helps the lime flavor stand out in this recipe though, so it is the much more flavorful choice! Apple cider vinegar was what we used for this recipe, but white vinegar would work just as well.
There is a nice kick in this recipe from the jalapeno. You want to keep that in mind while you are cooking. Be careful not to touch your eyes while you are working with jalapeno or else you will be burned in both the physical and metaphorical sense of the word.
Our taste testers enjoyed this meal quite a bit. The spiciness of the jalapeno paired with the sourness of the lime flavor was a favorite. This recipe gives a lot of flavor without being packed full of salt, making it a perfect meal for those on a diet or those who are trying to eliminate salt from their food.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 Tbsp Adobo Lime Rub
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except chicken and mix well.
- Trim any fat from your chicken breasts and dispose of fat. Place chicken breasts in a Tupperware container or a plastic bag. Pour marinade over chicken, cover and refrigerate. Let marinate for at least an hour, and as long as 8-12 hours. Turn chicken over at least once while marinating.
- Prepare grill, and grill chicken for a few minutes on each side(about 4-5 minutes per side). Cook until the internal temperature is 165 Degrees F.
- After chicken has rested for 5 minutes, slice thinly against the grain of the meat and serve.