Bourbon Maple Turkey Club Sandwich
There are recipes that are popular because they seem to be a perfect composition of special and ornate ingredients that all come together in a glorious symphony, like a Paella or a Biryani. The Club Sandwich is not one of those types of recipes. The Club Sandwich, instead, thrives on its simplicity and balance. Two meats, two veggies, THREE slices of bread… no one is feeling left out. Every gets a buddy. In our case, Turkey Breast is paired with Turkey Bacon (though you could also do chicken breast instead of turkey breast), Lettuce is paired with Tomatoes, and bread is paired with more bread. Excellence.
Club sandwiches are actually older than you might think, most often traced back to the end of the nineteenth century to a men’s social club in New York. Though it has recently circulated around the internet that the name “CLUB” is actually an acronym for “Chicken, Lettuce, Under Bacon” but based on the amount of recipes that have included tomatoes in it, this omission of a “T” doesn’t lend well for this theory. It’s far more likely that the sandwich is perhaps short for the “Clubhouse” sandwich, indicating that it was part of a signature menu for the aforementioned Saratoga Club.
This recipe is meant to showcase one of our newer blends, Bourbon Maple Hops Blend. Soulful, sweet, with a little bit of funk from the Hops, Chef Jeff imagined this as a perfect accompaniment for your more bland proteins such as chicken or turkey. This blend created a beautiful, gorgeous crust for the roasted turkey, and then when selecting a type of bacon to go with it Jeff was also inclined to reach for a Maple Smoked Turkey Bacon to complement the maple-y notes.
- 2Lb. Turkey breast, roasted and sliced
- 8 Leaves of lettuce (we used green leaf, but Bibb is recommended as well)
- 1 Large tomato, sliced
- 8 Slices of maple turkey bacon, cooked
- 12 Slices bread of choice (we used multi grain)
- 4 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp +1 tsp Bourbon Maple Hops Blend
- Mix 4 Tbsp mayonnaise with 1 tsp Bourbon Maple Hops Blend and set aside. Toast bread to desired darkness.
- Spread mayonnaise on bread slices.
- Place lettuce down, then 2oz turkey breast followed by tomato and bacon on 2 slices of bread. Leave the third empty, as it will go in the middle.
- Place the slice of bread with mayonnaise on top of one the slices with the turkey and etc. on it.
- Carefully place the other the other loaded slice on top of those.
- Place picks in each half of the sandwich and slice carefully.
- Serve and enjoy!