It doesn't get much easier than this. Caprese is a simple tomato salad from the Italian region of Campania and is traditionally made of sliced fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil. It's seasoned with salt and drizzled with balsamic vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil. Use the best olive oil you can here; this is a simple dressing, and you really want the olive oil to be rich, fruity, and packed with flavor.
We decided to top our Caprese off with a bit of Tuscany Bread Dipping Seasoning, a spicy and savory blend that features Mediterranean herbs like rosemary and oregano, with a touch of heat from red pepper flakes and the rich taste of garlic and onion. While it's not strictly traditional, the flavors are so, so right, and you'll never go back to your old salads again.
- 1 large slicing tomato or 2-3 Roma tomatoes
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 3-4 large leave of fresh lettuce such as green leaf or butter lettuce
- 2-4 teaspoons Tuscany Bread Dipping Seasoning, depending on taste
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 1 handful fresh basil, sliced into a thin chiffonade
- Slice tomatoes and cheese into 1/4" slices.
- Arrange tomatoes and cheese in alternating layers on top of the lettuce leaves.
- Sprinkle Tuscany Bread Dipping Seasoning on top of salad.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar on top of tomatoes and cheese.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
- Serve chilled