We hate the thought of anyone missing out on pizza because of special diets, so we made this crust with our keto and gluten-free friends in mind. Cauliflower replaces traditional pizza dough for a delicious way to dig in to the myriad joys of pizza without all the heavy starch from dough. As an added bonus, about a third of this crust counts as another serving of vegetables and helps ease your way to a healthier lifestyle.
It’s critical that all the extra moisture in the cauliflower is wrung out before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients. Wet cauliflower will prevent the crust from binding together. If you think the cauliflower is dry enough, put it in a clean towel and wring it again; if any water comes out, you need to keep working it. Using pre-riced cauliflower is a super-easy shortcut to pull this recipe together, but you can always steam your own cauliflower if you can’t find it riced and frozen. Blitz the steamed cauliflower in a food processor until it’s finely shredded and wring out all the water, as discussed. Then stir in Parmesan cheese and Italian Seasoning, to give it a great flavor base. The rich cheese plays well against welcoming cauliflower mixed with our blend of fragrant and flavorful Mediterranean herbs and starts your pizza off right.
This crust needs to be pre-baked before you use it with pizza, so you have a firm foundation to put your toppings on. And it’s best to let it sit for a few minutes after its baking time is complete. This gives the crust the opportunity to solidify before putting anything else on top of it, and it gives it a chance to cool, so it’s easier for you to handle too. Once it was ready to go, we topped this beautiful crust with Fiery Chile Pesto Pizza with Sumac, Ricotta, and Chard. It's a vegetarian delight that's filling, savory, and packed with rich flavors and playful textures. For our money, we won't find a better pizza at our corner pizza joint.
As a reminder: While this crust was made with our carb-watching friends in mind, it’s flat-out delicious and can please any palate, whether you’re counting carbs or not.
- 20-oz bag frozen riced cauliflower
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- Parchment paper
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Cook cauliflower according to product instructions.
3. Strain excess water from the cauliflower in a colander, then then wrap it in cheesecloth or a lint-free kitchen towel and squeeze out all the moisture.
4. Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix thoroughly until well combined. Place mixture on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and form into roughly a ¼ inch thick circle or rectangle.
5. Bake in a 425°F oven for 15-18 minutes until golden brown. Top with your preferred pizza toppings and finish baking.