Chicken Pho Soup
Get ready for a Winter warm up with this Asian inspired chicken noodle soup. Slurping is encouraged as you enjoy this intensely flavorful soup.
We are always looking for ways to use roasted chicken, however, this soup lends itself to store bought rotisserie chicken or poached chicken. We used a mixture of dark and white meat, but if your family prefers one over the other, that's fine too.
Although somewhat similar to the American version of chicken noodle soup, this soup gets it's rich flavors from the 5 spices that make up Chinese Five Spice and then increases that flavor by incorporating heat with jalapeno peppers. Traditional Vietnamese Pho (pronounced 'fuh')soup is typically made with beef, but the American version is normally made with chicken. This may be because we're always trying to find ways to make our favorite foods just a little healthier (but still just as delicious)!
Chicken Pho, better known in Vietnam as Pho Ga, is a typical street food. In Southern Vietnam, Pho Ga is eaten as breakfast or lunch, while in the North Pho Ga is eaten at any time of the day. In Vietnam, Pho Ga is a very simple, uncomplicated meal typically containing only a clear broth, rice noodles and beef. When a restaurant runs out of meat they serve just broth and rice noodles.
Our Chinese Five Spice is hand blended from ground star anise, cloves, fennel, cinnamon and Sichuan peppercorns.
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, halved and sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 2 cups home made chicken stock or store bought, low fat/ reduced salt chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 8 oz cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cups bean sprouts
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 Tbsp Dried Cilantro or 1/4 cup fresh, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and sliced thin
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 oz wide rice noodles, cooked to package directions, drain
- Hot chile sauce such as Sriracha for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven to medium high heat
- Add onions to the oil and cook until the onions soften and start to brown
- Add fish sauce, brown sugar and Chinese 5 Spice Powder and stir to combine
- Add the chicken stock and roasted chicken, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes
- Add bean sprouts, green onions, Dried Cilantro, jalapeno pepper and lime juice
- Simmer another 10 minutes
- Divide noodles into 4 bowls and ladle equal amounts of soup to each bowl
- Serve with hot chile sauce and lime wedges