German Chocolate Chia Energy Bites
In our ongoing quest to live healthier lifestyles, we continue to look for food and recipes that fuel our bodies, allow us to be stronger, work harder and live healthier. But wait, what about taste? Shouldn't healthy also be tasty? How do we get our kids to eat healthy food if it doesn't taste good too?
These chocolatey energy bites almost look too good to be true, but they're not! Disguised as a ball of candy, they might provide even more health benefits than they do flavor. They're the perfect healthy snack food for kids' lunchboxes, watching a baseball game or an afternoon indulgence at the office.
We used chopped Hazelnuts to make our German Chocolate Chia Energy Bites, but you can use any other chopped nuts that you have on hand.
Chia seeds are thought to be a 'super food' due to their boost of fiber, protein, calcium, antioxidants, and omega-3s. These small bites pack a nutritional punch, are easy to make and pack for a quick snack anytime of the day. Say good-bye to the vending machine snacks and enjoy a sweet, chocolately treat that is good for you.
- In a small bowl, combine Chia Seeds and water. Set aside for about 20 minutes until the seeds absorb the water.
- Place the seed mixture in a food processor, add dates and coconut oil and process untill mixture becomes smooth.
- Add Sea Salt and Cacao Powder and process again until combined.
- Add Chopped Hazlenuts and pulse several times to incorporate nuts evenly into mixture.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor to a bowl and stir in Shredded Coconut. It will be thick, using a wooden spoon or even your hands is recommended.
- Divide the mixture into 2 equal pieces and start forming balls about 1" in diameter. Each section should yield about 8 balls or 16 in total.
- Store in the refridgerator up to a week.