Greek Chicken Spinach Rice Casserole
Casseroles are great during the winter months, but what about summer? As the weather warms up, we turn to this lighter and healthier casserole for a comforting one-dish meal.
The bright, fresh flavors of Lemon Pepper and Greek Seasoning deliver the essence of summer to your plate. Crowd-pleasing chicken and rice make this the perfect meal to bring to a picnic or outdoor party and breaks away from macaroni salads that are sure to be found at every table. We used a quick-cooking brown rice for this dish, but if you have standard long-grain white rice you can use that as well. Do not use quick-cooking white rice, since that will easily overcook and turn to mush.
Our Lemon Pepper is our of our favorite salt free seasoning blends. We like to substitute it anywhere you would typically use salt, pepper and a hint of lemon. It is blended from black pepper, onion, lemon, thyme and coriander.
We also used our Greek Seasoning on the chicken to help bring together a balanced flavor profile. It can also be used to make a gyro sauce or marinade for shish kabobs. Our Greek Seasoning is blended from oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, parsley, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 10-ounce. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground Crushed Red Pepper Flakes or more, depending on taste
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into tenders
- 2 teaspoons Greek Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium quartered lemon, cut in wedges
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 10-inch ovenproof skillet with cooking spray.
- Place on the stove over medium heat.
- Add onion to skillet.
- Cook while stirring for 4 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add spinach, rice, water, Kosher Salt, and Crushed Red Pepper Flakes. Stir until well blended.
- Toss chicken with Greek Seasoning and Lemon Pepper Seasoning.
- Remove skillet from heat. Place chicken on top of mixture in skillet in a single layer. Cover with foil.
- Bake 25 minutes or until juice from chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove foil and drizzle oil evenly over top.
- Serve with lemon wedges.