Mexican Street Corn - Elote
You can have corn. Or you can dig into the spicy-sweet flavors of Mexican corn on the cob, a/k/a elote. A traditional Mexican street food, elote has a history that reaches back hundreds of years. This dish has staying power. When you taste it, you'll see why.
Mexican corn on the cob is an incredibly adaptable dish, and can be massaged to fit a huge array of tastes. The eloteros who sell these ears of corn on the streets have mix-and-match condiments at their carts, because no two people are necessarily the same regarding how they want their corn. Pick the cooking style you like best, add butter or mayonnaise or sour cream, top with the finely shredded cheese of your choice. Next, sprinkle our Mexican Corn on the Cob Seasoning Blend over the cheese. We bring the tastes of traditional Mexico to you, with its blend of earthy cumin and spicy-smoky peppers, and then we sweeten the deal with a touch of sugar. FYI, folks, I have heard of some people also adding our seasoning blend in with the mayonnaise for an extra shot of flavor.
Our taste testers like how balanced our Mexican Corn on the Cob seasoning is. Sure, it's got some spice, but it won't make smoke come out of your ears, and the savory notes of sugar and smoke and warmth keep the flavors grounded. A quick drizzle with some fresh lime juice and a little cilantro, and this dish is ready to dazzle.
- 8 ears of corn
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup Cotija cheese
- ¼ cup Mexican Corn on The Cob Seasoning
- Juice from 1 lime
- Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat grill to high.
- Add corn and cook, turning often, until lightly charred all over, about 10 minutes.
- When corn is cool enough to touch but still warm, insert a wooden skewer into the end of the corn cob as a handle.
- Brush corn with 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise.
- Holding corn over a plate or bowl, generously coat the corn with 2 Tablespoons cheese and 1 Tablespoon of the Mexican Street Corn Seasoning.
- Repeat with the remaining ears of corn and serve with a squeeze of lime and a garnish of chopped cilantro.