Roasted Tomato Salsa
This is a super easy and healthy recipe and can be done on the grill or in the oven. Fire roasted tomatoes are sweet and smoky and while you can usually find them with the canned tomatoes at the market, you can also make them yourself easily and in just a few minutes.
We used medium-sized hothouse tomatoes, but Roma tomatoes or any variety of medium sized, ripe tomatoes would work well. This salsa can be served with chips as a dip, as a condiment on your favorite taco, or as a topping to nachos or quesadillas. Save some to put on top of scrambled eggs for a little breakfast spice. This is a good salsa to can and have all year 'round.
- Preheat grill to high heat or oven broiler to to high.
- Cut the tomatoes in half from top to bottom.
- With a spoon, scoop out the seeds into a bowl. (Save the seeds and juice - freeze and add to soups and sauces)
- Sprinkle cut halves of the tomatoes with Smoked Hickory Flaked Salt and place on grill, cut side up or under broiler cut side down.
- Grill or broil until skin on tomatoes start to blacken and blister.
- Remove from heat to a cutting board until cook enough to handle.
- Cut jalapenos and remove seeds and stems. Coarsely chop and add to a bowl.
- Add chopped onions, California Roasted Minced Garlic, fresh cilantro and lime juice to the bowl with the jalapenos.
- When tomatoes are cool, coarsley chop and add to the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Stir to combine and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes.