Satay Peanut Sauce
Satay might be synonymous with “peanut sauce” but in reality, ordering Satay Chicken means you’re only guaranteed skewers and not sauce. We want you to have the full flavor experience, so we decided to make some Satay Peanut Sauce. We make our peanut with Satay Seasoning, which is earthy from turmeric and cumin, but also garlicky and has a little warmth from smoky chipotle powder. The peanut sauce has a touch of heat from Red Pepper Flakes, and it's balanced by peanut butter and sesame seeds so it's nutty, spicy, and savory. Combined with Cucumber Relish, this trio of dishes ticks off all the boxes for a really tasty, well-balanced Satay, but Satay Peanut Sauce would also taste incredible paired with some Suya Yaji Skewers or used tp spruce up leftover turkey at Thanksgiving as well!
- In a saucepan over medium, heat oil and add shallots. Cook until soft and translucent, 3-4 minutes.
- Add peanuts, peanut butter, sugar, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, and Satay Seasoning. Mix well.
- Whisk in water. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes. If sauce is too thick, add additional water.
- Remove from and let cool. Stir in Black Sesame Seeds.
- Serve with Satay Chicken.