Spinach Tortellini Soup
I’m always on the look for healthy, easy meals that I can prepare quickly on busy days and one pot recipes make it even better! This Spinach Tortellini Soup is another of my favorite comfort foods especially when it starts getting cold here in the northeast. I paired it with some fresh, crusty bread I got from a new bakery here in town that I discovered at the local community market. I love supporting other small businesses.
Colorful and delicious, this meatless tortellini soup recipe can be prepared in about 20 minutes and serves 2 for dinner. Double the recipe for 4 servings and make even more for a crowd.
If you are fortunate enough to have access to fresh made tortellini, then you should go for it! Otherwise, look in the refrigerated section of your grocer for packaged, uncooked cheese tortellini - that's what we used and it worked beautifully.
- 6oz package of cheese filled tortellini - I like the colors of the tomato and spinach tortellini.
- 2 cups pre-washed spinach leaves - 2 big handfuls work here - who wants to stuff spinach in a measuring cup?
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Roasted Garlic Flakes
- 1 cup vegetable broth - certainly beef or chicken broth can be used here, but vegetable broth keeps it vegetarian.
- 1 teaspoon Dried Sweet Basil
- 2 tablespoons of grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- A little bit of Cracked Black Pepper for garnish
- Cook tortellini according to package directions
- Clean spinach by removing any stems and washing. Use a salad spinner or paper towel to remove excess moisture from washing.
- Seed and chop tomatoes.
- In a medium sized skillet, heat oil to medium high heat.
- Add Roasted Garlic Flakes and saute for 1 minute.
- Add broth and simmer for about 5 minutes
- Add spinach, tomatoes and Basil and heat until spinach starts to wilt.
- Drain tortellini and add to the skillet.
- Cook another minute or two until hot.
- Sprinkle with cheese and pepper, serve.