Taco Stuffed Zucchini
We absolutely love tacos around here! We also don't mind mixing up a classic with some different variables. This Taco Stuffed Zucchini may not crunch, but you might just forget about that when you take your first bite. Who knew something so delicious could also be healthy? We definitely aren't skipping Taco Tuesday around here!
While being healthy and delicious, this dish is also easy to prepare. As the weather gets warmer and the gardens start to produce, zucchini will be abundantly available at the farmers market or maybe even in your own backyard. There are so many wonderful recipes for zucchini, like Zucchini and Ricotta Galette, Pineapple Zucchini Quick Bread and Ground Beef with Tomatoes and Zucchini. We think this one is a great addition to your weeknight dinner menu./p>
Our Taco Seasoning is hand blended with chili powder, paprika, onion, garlic, cumin, brown sugar, black pepper, cayenne and Mexican oregano.
- 4 medium zucchini about 6-7" each
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 lb lean ground meat
- 2 Tablespoon Taco Seasoning
- 1 can (14 oz) or 2 cups stewed tomatoes, no salt or seasonings added
- 1/2 cup Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup mild cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash zucchini and slice each one lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, remove the flesh from the center of the zucchini halves, leaving a 1/4" rim around each. Reserve the flesh.
- Place the zucchini halves in a 9x13" baking dish.
- In a medium sized skillet over medium high heat brown the ground meat until it is cooked through.
- Drain off any excess fat from the cooked meat and return the skillet to the stovetop.
- Add 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning mix and 4 oz. of water and the zucchini flesh that was removed from the center of the zucchini halves.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover and let stand for 10 minutes (stirring occasionally) or until the mixture starts to thicken up.
- Evenly stuff the zucchini halves with the cooked taco mixture.
- Spoon the tomatoes over the tops of the zucchini.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the zucchini are tender and cooked through.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the zucchini and return to the overn for 3-5 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Serve warm.