Vegetarian Refried Bean Pizza
Pizza is one of my favorite foods. Not only because I am a recent college graduate, but also because when you make it right it can be a complete meal that you can hold with one hand. What other foods can you say that about? Probably only a handful.
We're always looking for new recipe ideas to change up our meals and going vegetarian once a week or so is a great and tasty change of pace. This is another homemade pizza that works really well with the Cornmeal Pizza Crust. A simple vegetarian alternative to the basic pizza, this pizza is not lacking in protein or fiber and makes an easy to prepare dinner. One slice was very filling and you can always add a small salad as well. If you prefer a meat pizza, add some cooked, crumbled Turkey Bacon.
We also like to make our own pizza sauce whenever we have a little extra time. Not only does it make your pizza feel even more homemade, but you can add even more veggies or cheese to your sauce if you want!
- 1 Cornmeal Pizza Crust
- 1/2 a medium-sized onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1-16 ounce can fat-free refried beans
- 1 cup low sodium jarred salsa
- 2 Tablespoons Manzanillo Mexican Seasoning or Taco Seasoning
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup mild green chiles, like cubanelles, chopped.
- 1/4 cup green or red bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 3 Tablespoons reduced fat sour cream
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare Cornmeal Pizza Crust as per recipe and place crust on a warmed pizza stone. Use a fork to pierce the crust a few times to prevent bubbles from forming.
- Precook crust in the oven for about 8-10 minutes until lightly brown and firm.
- While crust is in the oven, heat a skillet or pan to medium on the stove and add onions and olive oil - cook about 5 minutes until onions start to become soft. Add beans, salsa and seasoning.
- Cook on medium heat until mixture becomes combined and warmed through.
- Spread bean and tomato mixture onto the pizza crust
- Add diced tomatoes and both bell peppers and green chiles over bean mixture. Toss cheese evenly over the pizza.
- Return pizza to the oven and bake for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees until cheese is melted.
- Slice and garnish with avocado, sour cream & cilantro.