Apple Cider Sweet Potatoes
Nothing too difficult with this mashed sweet potato recipe, just a slightly different take on traditional mashed potatoes. If you love sweet potato casserole that is usually only found on Thanksgiving - you know the one that’s often topped with marshmallows and seems to have an equal mix of sugar to sweet potato, then you may be surprised to find that the versatile sweet potato almost makes a delightful savory side dish.
One of my friends even believes that these mashed sweet potatoes make the ideal side dish!
These orange tubers are considered a “superfood” by many nutritionists, sweet potatoes are packed with vitamins A and C, fiber and potassium as well as lutein and zeaxanthin both naturally occurring carotenoids that are found to promote eye health.
This simple mashed sweet potato recipe adds a little natural sweetness with apple cider and some warmth with our hand blended Apple Pie Spice. I love this spice blend with added to sweet potatoes as the perfect balance of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and cardamom add savory richness that deepens the natural sweetness of these potatoes - no need to add any sugar at all!
- 2 or 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon Apple Pie Spice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper, optional
- In a saucepan, combine potatoes, cider and Cinnamon Stick
- Bring to a boil, stir and reduce heat
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender
- Remove Cinnamon Stick. Add butter and Apple Pie Spice and mash or beat with an electric mixer until potatoes are smooth.
- Add salt and pepper if desired.