Arroz Con Pollo
Translation: Rice with Chicken.
Rice with chicken is one of the most popular dishes in South American and Colombian kitchens, but each country and even each family has their own variety with a secret ingredient or two.
This is a super-easy one pot meal that's great for when you want some Mexican food, but don't feel like slaving away in the kitchen. The rice, chicken and vegetables create a balanced meal and make delicious leftovers--though we don't think you'll have too many! Put all of your ingredients in the slow cooker and walk away. Dinner is ready when you are.
You can use individual spices as listed in the recipe or substitute 2 Tablespoons Manzanillo Mexican Seasoning for lots of flavor and just a touch of heat.
Low in fat and loaded with fresh, flavorful ingredients - this one is a winner in our house!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red pepper cut into strips
- 1, 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with chilis
- 1 teaspoon California Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder Mild
- 4 cups reduced fat and sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Spray the bottom and sides of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Set slow cooker on the LOW setting.
- Add oil, rice, chopped vegetables, tomatoes and spices to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Add chicken stock and chicken to rice and vegetables.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook for 5-6 hours (3-4 hours if you choose to set the slow cooker to high).
- Just before serving add peas and stir to combine - let the peas heat through for about 5 minutes.