Chicken and Butternut Squash Pizza
We are always looking for new ways to enjoy pizza and it's so easy to make pizza on a pita or flatbread when feeding just a few people or on home made dough when you have a larger crowd. Pizza has come a long way from the days of greasy pepperoni and mounds of cheese. Healthier options include less cheese, vegetarian options, chicken breast, whole wheat crusts and even non traditional crusts, like flat bread, pita, corn meal and even cauliflower.
I also have roasted chicken breast as a topping, but you can easily pick up a rotisserie chicken and use the breast after removing the skin. We do love to roast red peppers and keep them on hand for meals, but they are also available in the jar at the grocery - just be careful that they are not packed in oil. Butternut squash sometimes comes in packages already peeled, seeded and cutup, you still have to roast it, but that's pretty easy and worth it for the great flavor.
Pizza is rustic and casual, easy to serve and generally eaten with your hands - not the dreaded knife and fork. This chicken pizza has a little heat from the home made wholegrain mustard which is quickly offset by the sweetness of the butternut squash and red bell pepper.
- 2 flatbreads, whole wheat
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup Tomato Flakes
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced or grated
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 16 oz roasted chicken breast, without the skin, cut into cubes or shredded
- 2 Tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash
- 1 roasted red pepper, sliced
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine chicken and mustard. Mix so that the chicken is coated with the mustard. Set aside.
- Place the flatbreads on a pizza stone or baking sheet and brush 1 Tablespoon over each piece.
- Let flatbreads bake in the oven for about 5 minutes to crisp slightly. Remove from oven.
- Spread the sun dried tomatoes over the crusts and evenly layer the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Sprinkle the Italian Seasoning and add the chicken breast, red peppers and butternut squash.
- Return the pizzas to the oven and bake for about 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust is crispy.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle the remaining 1 Tablespoon of olive oil over pizzas.
- Let cool slightly, cut and serve.