Chicken and Sausage Kebabs
As with any kebabs we make, this recipe began with soaking skewers overnight, so they wouldn’t char or start on fire while we were cooking with them. This is an excellent precautionary step. The last thing anyone wants to eat is a chicken kebab covered in fire extinguisher foam, no matter how much it looks like whipped cream.
At first, we wanted to use radicchio on our skewers, but it turned out that we didn’t have any, so we improvised with sweet potatoes and found that they were an excellent choice. The sweet potatoes worked well with the apples and they both complimented the rich, savory grilled meats and each had their own little bursts of flavor. Jeff was careful not to crowd the skewer so that everything could cook evenly. It was also important to keep each piece of food around the same size for the same reason.
These kebabs were coated in BBQ sauce as they cooked and then dipped again afterwards based on personal desire to do so, and the sauce was incredible. Jeff made the sauce himself using our Mother Clucker Seasoning.
For the vegetarians in the room, disassembling these kebabs is easy and the fruits and vegetables are plenty to enjoy. These are delicious and when they were ready to be eaten, there were a bunch of volunteers ready to get their hands on a few. The barbeque sauce was the genuine star of the show- the flavor of the sauce was delicious on absolutely everything.
- 16 skewers (wood or metal)
- 1 Lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cit into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Lb. fully cooked chicken apple sausages, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup pearl onions, fresh or frozen
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into ¾ inch pieces
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cut into ¾ inch pieces
- 2 cups Smoky Molasses Rub BBQ Sauce
- Prepare your grill for medium heat.
- Thread equals portions of the ingredients on the skewers. Avoid crowding too much on one skewer.
- Place skewers on grill, and cook for about 8 minutes. Turn the skewers to cook all sides. Baste the skewers as they cook with the bbq sauce. Brush with more sauce as they come off the grill. Serve!