Grilled Portobello and Radicchio Salad
Summertime means grilling. But grilling doesn't just mean steaks and burgers. Portobello mushrooms are from the cremini family of mushrooms and are perfect for the grill. Creminis are harvested young and are smaller while portobellos are allowed to grow for a longer period of time, increasing their size to 4-6 inches in diameter. Portobellos have a deep flavor that is enhanced when marinated and grilled.
This light, fresh salad combines the full flavor of the grilled portobello with the bitter and spicy radicchio. Radicchio is from the chicory family and has purple leaves with white ribs. Choose radicchio with crisp leaves and no brown spots.
This is a simple prep dish that can be served as a side or a vegetarian/vegan entree.
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Thyme Leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Coarse Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper Coarse Grind
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, washed, stems and gills removed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 medium head of radicchio lettuce, cored, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Thyme Leaf, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Make sure the mushrooms are dry by patting them with a paper towel and place them stem side up in a baking dish.
- Spoon the marinade over the mushrooms, letting it pool inside the cap. Pour some into the dish to coat the tops of the mushrooms.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Bring the grill to medium heat and place the mushrooms, stem side up on the grill.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes before turning. Baste the mushrooms with the marinade as they cook.
- Remove from heat when mushrooms are cooked through but still retain some firmness.
- Let mushrooms cool, then cut into bite sized pieces.
- Whisk together the olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- In a large bowl, add radicchio leaves and drizzle with the oil and vinegar, toss to coat.
- Add mushrooms and toss again to coat.
- Serve immediately.