Manzanillo Taco Salad in a Lettuce Bowl
It was one of those days. I was really craving a taco salad. Not a taco, or a burrito or a taco wrap, but an actual taco salad in a nice, crispy bowl. Well, that crispy bowl is nice and crispy and 'deep fried'. Not really what I was looking for, so I started thinking about the wedge salad concept, where basically the salad consists of a wedge of iceburg lettuce drizzled with dressing.
So I combined the two ideas (think Reese's Peanut Butter Cups) and decided to use a head of iceburg lettuce as the bowl for my taco salad!! Taco meat, beans, cheese and all the goodies of a taco salad packed into an iceburg lettuce bowl. Happy to report that it really hit the spot and is now in the regular dinner rotation.
Our Manzanillo Mexican Seasoning is hand blended with ancho, pasilla, black pepper, garlic, chipotle, onion, coriander, Mexican oregano and cumin. For a milder flavor and a little less heat, you can also try our Taco Seasoning, both are salt free and full of flavor.
- 12 oz lean ground beef
- 1 Tablespoon Manzanillo Mexican Seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can or 2 cups cooked black beans
- 8 oz reduced fat Monterrey jack cheese or colby cheese, shredded
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 small heads of iceburg lettuce
- 8 Tablespoons reduced fat Ranch style dressing or salsa.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Crumble ground beef into the hot skillet.
- Cook and stir until the beef is completely browned, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Drain and discard any excess grease.
- Return ground beef to heat.
- Add Manzanillo Mexican Seasoning and water over the beef; stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the moisture absorbs into the meat, about 5 minutes.
- Prepare the salad bowls by washing the lettuce, removing the core and slicing each head vertically. You should now have 4 1/2 heads of lettuce.
- Carefully, remove enough of the center of the head to create a bowl, while leaving enough of the sides to support the remaining ingredients.
- Place each lettuce bowl in a serving bowl or place and assemble the salad by adding equal amounts of the taco meat, black beans, tomato, onion, cheese and dressing.