Who knew that such a simple food would have such a controversial origin story? Some believe it was invented as a meat alternative for lent in Egypt, while others angrily argue it came from Lebanon. Wherever it got its start, we are thankful it did. A falafel sandwich is a deliciously simple street food that can be smothered with tahini sauce and thinly sliced vegetables and eaten on the go.
This is the perfect recipe for those nights when you aren’t really feeling the cooking thing or when you just want to throw something flavorful together and you don’t have a lot of time to get it all together. Don’t let the ease of making this recipe fool you. It is packed full of flavor and will fill you up solidly. This sandwich is quite similar to the Sabich Eggplant Sandwich, so if you’ve enjoyed that in the past, you will probably enjoy this too.
The falafel sandwich was so good that Jeff made falafel two days in a row just to be able to eat more of it. Our taste testers couldn’t get enough- ducking into the test kitchen several times throughout the day to scoop up another falafel ball to pop in their mouths or to wrap up and enjoy another sandwich. Jeff made his own tahini-based sauce for this recipe, but you could use something store bought if you were in a pinch. Falafel has this unique quality about it that even those who aren’t big fans of chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, might be willing to at least try this. That’s great news for families with picky eaters!
- Ingredients for Tahini Sauce:
- ½ Cup Tahini
- 3 Cloves Garlic, rough chop
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Parsley Flakes
- Ingredients for sandwich:
- 6 Pita Bread
- 2 Tomatoes, diced
- 1 English Cucumber, diced
- ¼ of a small red onion
- ¼ Cup Parsley Flakes
- 1 Tbsp Dried Spearmint Leaves
- Israeli Pickles
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- In a food processor combine tahini and garlic, and salt and process until smooth. Add olive oil, and lemon juice and parsley and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, parsley, garlic and dried spearmint together. Mix well and add 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice. Mix well again and set aside.
- Assemble sandwiches. Fill pitas with Falafel, Israeli Salad, and pickles. Top with Tahini Sauce. Serve!