Phyllo instead of pasta and classic Greek ingredients give this dish a twist from traditional lasagna recipes. We also used ground turkey and reduced fat cheeses to keep the calorie count and sodium down, well at least a little bit :).
We can usually find phyllo in the frozen section of our market. It's a little tricky to work with and can dry out quickly, so only defrost what you need and cover the phyllo with plastic wrap or a towel until you are ready to use it. The directions should be on the box for how to use and store the phyllo.
This ground turkey lasagana was the perfect opportunity to use our Greek Seasoning which is hand blended from Mediterranean oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt, black pepper, parsley, Korintje cinnamon and ground nutmeg..
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil - divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 LB ground turkey
- 1/4 cup Dried Tomato Flakes
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Greek Seasoning
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese - divided
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 6 sheets phyllo, defrost if frozen
- Heat oven to 375 F. Brush or spray a 9x9 in baking pan with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute until softened.
- Add ground turkey and cook until meat is cooked through.
- Add tomato flakes, olives and Greek Seasoning to the meat, stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine feta and 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese, set aside.
- Lay phyllo out on a work surface and cut to lay flat in baking pan. Any small pieces can be placed side by side to make up a layer of the lasagna.
- Brush each phyllo layer with olive oil and place 1/3 of the sheets in the bottom of the baking dish, laying them one on top of the other.
- Spoon 1/2 of the meat filling evenly over the phyllo and sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese mixture on top of the meat.
- Layer another 1/3 of the phyllo (brushed with olive oil) on top of the cheese and repeat with the meat and cheese.
- Brush remaining phyllo with oilve oil and place on top of the layers - tuck any loose sides down into the side of the baking dish to keep them from burning.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmigiano-Regiano cheeses on top of the phyllo and bake in the oven until crisp and golden - about 25 - 30 minutes.