Grilled Chicken Potato and Asparagus Salad
This is a great meal for those days when you want to have something light but filling, and it never hurts to have a grilled chicken salad recipe on hand. I don't know when you are reading this, but I can tell you that it is March here in Pennsylvania. What that means is we are past the harsh Winter months of January and February, but aren't quite to the warmth of May and June. What I liked about this salad is that it has warmth that I still need in March but also has a hint of wonderful salad season that is just ahead!
Since I happened to catch a day when the sun was shining, I chose to make everything on the grill. However, you can just as easily parboil the potatoes, steam the asparagus and bake the chicken - change it up - it's all good.
The lemon and dill flavors give 'brightness' and a little 'zest' to this Mediterranean inspired dish. Our Lemon Pepper is hand blended from coarse black pepper, minced onion, thyme, coriander and lemon peel. I would also recommend the Citrus Seasoning as the seasoning for the chicken marinade.
- 12 small red potatoes
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup white wine plus 2 Tablespoons white wine
- 2 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Lemon Pepper
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus
- 2 cups salad greens - I used a combination of spinach and romaine lettuce
- 1 teaspoon Dried Shallots
- 2 teaspoons California Roasted Granulated Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Dill Weed
- Preheat grill to medium high heat
- In a shallow bowl or zip lock bag, add chicken, 1/4 cup of wine and 2 Tablespoons of Lemon Pepper
- Let the chicken marinate for about 20 minutes
- Cut the potatoes into halves or quarters and drizzle the potatoes with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and season with the remaining 1 teaspoon of Lemon Pepper, toss to coat
- Wrap the potatoes in foil or put them loose on a vegetable tray made for grills.
- In a small mixing bowl or jar with a tight fitting lid, add shallot, garlic, lemon juice, vinegars, olive oil, the remaining 2 Tablespoons of white wine, and Dill Weed.
- Whisk vinaigrette or shake in the jar to combine.
- Put potatoes and chicken on the grill and cook until potatoes are soft and chicken is cooked through.
- Rinse asparagus and remove about 2" from the bottom of the stalks. Add to the grill and cook until the asparagus starts to lightly char, turning often to cook all sides. The asparagus will cook quickly so watch it carefully.
- Remove chicken, potatoes and asparagus from the grill and let chicken rest about 5 minutes before slicing.
- Arrange the greens on the 6 plates and slice chicken. Add equal portions of chicken, potatoes and asparagus to each plate and drizzle vinaigrette over each salad before serving.