Spanish Saffron Chicken
Spanish saffron chicken is a delightfully colorful meal. The yellow lent to the dish from saffron is beautifully juxtaposed by the pitch black of the olives and the vibrant green of the peas. This meal is almost too pretty to eat. We did say almost, so please don’t get mad at anyone trying to preserve their plate for the perfect food picture to post online.
Since this recipe is inspired by the food of Spain, it only makes sense to use Spanish olive oil, though you could use vegetable oil as a substitution if you don’t have Spanish olive oil on hand. We used Arrowroot Powder to thicken the sauce for this recipe. When mixed with water you make what's called a slurry. Once they're mixed, stir the slurry into the dish as it's cooking. Slurries can't sit, because the powder will separate from the water, are only effective in hot liquids. They will clump if you try to stir them into a cold liquid.
Paella Seasoning is excellent for the chicken here, but if you want something less complex in terms of flavor you could substitute this seasoning blend for paprika and a few Saffron threads. We did use a few extra Saffron strands at the end to boost the vibrancy of the dish, but these are optional.
We served this chicken over rice with a few vegetables, but you could serve it with noodles or even quinoa if you so desire. This yummy chicken is a classic, Spanish-inspired recipe and all our taste testers were impressed with it; some even tried to dive in for seconds before everyone got a taste. We hope you enjoy this just as much as we did.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper Medium Grind, small pinch each
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped in a small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon Paella Seasoning
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon Saffron
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 2 Tablespoons black olives
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon Arrowroot Powder
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Butterfly chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium, add chicken and cook a few minutes until browned.
- Remove chicken from pot and set aside. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Saute until tender.
- Add Paella Seasoning, cook for a minute then add chicken stock and chicken and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 25 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Add Saffron, peas, olives and milk to pot and cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Combine Arrowroot Powder and water and add to pot, bring to a boil stirring frequently until thickened.
- Serve over rice.