Turkey Sausage with Roasted Vegetables
This is a delightful twist on the dynamic duo of sausage and peppers. But instead of using fatty Italian pork sausage I opted for the leaner turkey sausage. Most Italian Sausage and Peppe recipes sport a mind-blowing 1,150 calories and 69 grams of fat (oh my goodness) but this delicious and lean versions drives these all the way down to 361 calories and 17 grams of fat.
I'm also a huge fan of sweet potatoes so I included them in this recipe but you could easily sub these out for red potatoes, new potatoes or russet potatoes if you prefer those.
I think this may be one of my favorite recipes. Preparation time is quick, but the slow cooking in the oven is what makes this dish so good. Roasted sweet potatoes, carrots, fennel, onion and peppers are a perfect mix for a nice, healthy comfort food meal. The hot sausage really brings it home and turkey or chicken sausage will keep it low fat as well. And don't you just love a meal that only dirties one pan?
Our Italian Seasoning is hand blended with Mediterranean oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme, rosemary and sage.
This turkey sausage recipe is a good source of protein, Niacin and Vitamin B6, and a very good source of Vitamin A. Now while this is a healthier version it still is a bit high in cholesterol and sodium and does have some Trans Fat. The sodium is a bit high on this recipe mostly due to the store bought chicken broth and the turkey sausage.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Cut turkey sausage into 8 equal pieces
- Peel and coarsely cut sweet potatoes, carrots, bell pepper, onion and fennel into large chunks or cubes.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together Roasted Garlic Flakes, olive oil, Cracked Black Pepper, Italian Seasoning and chicken broth.
- Place all the vegetables into a large casserole dish and drizzle the liquid on them and mix to coat all the vegetables.
- Cover the vegetables with foil and bake for 45 minutes or until fork tender.
- In a skillet on medium high heat, brown the turkey sausage pieces.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven, remove the foil and nest the turkey sausage pieces into the baked vegetables.
- Drizzle the dish with the balsamic vinegar.
- Return to oven, uncovered, and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes until the entire dish is nice and brown. After the first 15 minutes or so you can baste the sausage and vegetables with the liquid in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Serve hot.