Vindaloo Curry Spiced Bean and Tomato Soup
This spicy bean and tomato soup is sure to warm up even the frostiest day. The ginger and jalapeno add a mild warmth while the Vindaloo Curry adds a perfect balance of spicy heat and complex layers of flavor.
We love beans because not only are they inexpensive and easy to cook, but they're also full of nutrients. Beans are high in antioxidants, fiber, protein, B vitamins, iron, magnesium, zinc and potassium. This makes them a great main meal component for vegetarians and also anyone looking to eat leaner (but still enjoy a hearty meal).
Our Vindaloo Curry is hand blended from brown mustard, hot cayenne (80,000 - 90,000 SHU), cumin, fenugreek, cardamom and black pepper. Spice blends are a great easy way to add diverse flavors to your soup and explore new and interesting cuisines.
This recipe is super easy to make and wins points for being chock full of healthy goodness. Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt and pita chips or some warm Dukkah Flatbread.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stem and seeds removed, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Vindaloo Curry Powder
- 1 15 oz can peeled tomatoes/no salt added, including juices, coarsely chopped
- 2 cans (or 4 cups fresh cooked) kidney or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 6 Tablespoons (dollops) of non fat, plain Greek yogurt
- Heat olive oil to medium high heat in a 4 quart pot or dutch oven.
- Add onions and cook 2-3 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add garlic and stir to combine, cook another 1 -2 minutes.
- Add ginger, jalapeno and Vindaloo Curry, stir to combine and cook another minute or 2.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juices, beans and the vegetable stock.
- Bring the soup to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook about 10 minutes.
- Remove about 1/3 of the beans and mash them with a potato masher or fork.
- Return the mashed beans to the soup and stir to combine.
- Serve warm with a dollop of yogurt and warm bread or pita chips. (Bread and/or pita not included in nutritional information.)