Roasted Butternut Squash with Cranberries and Apples
Just in case you were looking for one more recipe with butternut squash - here it is. Honestly, it's one of those ingredients that we use all Winter long because its healthy, delicious and works in so many tasty recipes.
This one is a favorite and is a perfect side dish for holiday gatherings. The sweet/tart flavors of the dried cranberries and apples are the perfect compliment to the creamy, but hearty flavor of the butternut squash. The addition of herbs and the unexpected heat of the cayenne really make this dish sing.
- 1 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 3 Gala apples (or any sweet/tart type of apple), peeled, cored and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1/3 cups dried cranberries
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper - medium
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, combine squash, apples cranberries, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and cayenne - toss to mix.
- Mix together butter and olive oil and add to large bowl - mix well to combine
- Transfer mixture to 9x11 baking dish or baking sheet with sides - spread to evenly distribute mixture.
- Bake 45 - 50 minutes until squash is fork tender
- Serve warm