Vegetarian Pizza Pie
This baked dish is a great alternative to traditional pizza. Stuffed with veggies and cheese between two light and flaky pie crusts, this is a dish that is sure to please. You can use your favorite pizza spices and herbs or a Pizza Seasoning Blend. Ours Pizza Seasoning is hand blended from Mediterranean oregano, basil, garlic, onion, thyme, fennel seed, red bell pepper, crush red pepper, parsley and marjoram.
Although this recipe is 'easy', it is not quick. Allow time for the dough to set up - total time from start to finish is about 2 1/2 hours. Truly worth the effort though, our table gave it a thumbs up!
This low calorie Pizza Pie recipe is a very good source of Vitamin C and Vitamin K while also being a good source of protein, Vitamin A and Selenium.
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 6oz bags baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons Dried Shallots
- 2 teaspoons Roasted Garlic Flakes
- 8 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup Dried Tomato Flakes
- 1 tablespoon Pizza Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white
- Cooking spray
- To prepare pie crust, weigh or lightly spoon 1 2/3 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a food processor; pulse several times to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil and water. With processor on, slowly add oil mixture through food chute, and process just until dough begins to form a ball (dough will be crumbly).
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Using the remaining flour to prevent sticking, knead dough for about 3 minutes.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions.
- Press each portion into a 5-inch circle. Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Add bell pepper to pan and cook until peppers become tender.
- To the pan, add spinach, Dried Shallots and Roasted Garlic Flakes and continue to cook another minute or so or until greens begin to wilt. Remove mixture from heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add ricotta, cheeses, Tomato Flakes, Pizza Seasoning, Salt, Pepper and the 2 beaten eggs to the vegetable mixture, stirring to combine.
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Working with 1 dough portion at a time, roll dough, into an 11-inch circle. Place the dough sheet into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Spoon vegetable mixture into prepared pie plate.
- Using the remaining dough portion, roll dough into an 11-inch circle. Place dough sheet over vegetable mixture. Press the edges of dough together with fingers and fold edges under, and gently press around the lip of the pie plate with a fork to 'crimp' the edges.
- With a small, sharp knife cut several slits in top of dough to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Allow pie to cool for about 15 minutes. This allows the cheese in the filling to set up so the it won't run out when the pie is cut.
- Cut into wedges and serve.