Grilled Vegetable Pasta
It's time to pick your favorite vegetables and get thee to a grill. The great thing about this recipe is that just about any vegetables will do, particularly if you have a grilling basket. We used mushrooms and eggplant, zucchini, and yellow squash but if you're leaning toward onions, broccoli, and tomatoes, then we officially encourage you to go for it. When grilling your vegetables, rub just a little olive oil on them to prep them; otherwise they'll stick to the grill.
We like this pasta with a thicker noodle; a hearty linguine or fettucine will stand up better against the bold flavor of grilled vegetables. We also think long pasta is better for this dish than anything short, because we like the sinuous way the noodles wrap around the veggies.
Serve with a healthy sprinkling of fresh Pecorino Romano cheese to give your grilled vegetable pasta just a little something extra. Add contrast with a sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley or fresh basil, and enjoy!
- 1 each medium eggplant, yellow squash and zucchini, 2-3 cleaned portabello mushroom caps
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 medium garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup sun dried Tomato Flakes
- 2 teaspoons Dried Basil
- 1 teaspoon Greek Oregano
- Fine Sea Salt and Black Pepper Fine Grind to taste
- 1 pound linguini or fettucine
- 4 Tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Set grill to medium high heat. Start boiling water for pasta. When water boils, prepare pasta as per directions on the box.
- Peel eggplant and cut into 1/2-inch discs, wash and slice squash and zucchini in 1/2-inch slices. Leave mushrooms whole.
- Spray vegetables lightly with cooking spray to prevent sticking on the grill.
- Place vegetables on the grill and grill for 4-5 minutes on each side, until they become cooked through and tender.
- Put olive oil in a skillet and saute sliced garlic, Tomato Flakes, Greek Oregano and Dried Basil in the olive oil until garlic starts to turn brown.
- Remove vegetables from the grill and cut into bite sized pieces, add to the garlic and tomato mixture, toss to coat. Add Fine Sea Salt and Black Pepper Fine Grind to taste.
- Toss cooked pasta together with vegetable-spice mixture. Garnish with Pecorino Romano cheese.