Kalamata Olive Pizza
Without prescribing to any particular 'diet', we tend to gravitate towards what is commonly referred to as a Mediterranean diet, full of fruits, vegetables, nuts, olives, olive oils, fish and wonderful breads and cheeses. I guess we consider it more of a lifestyle than a diet. We focus on fresh, flavorful and healthy and the Mediterranean offers many wonderful options. We've written more in-depth about how to live the Mediterranean diet.
When I am looking for a quick lunch or light dinner, pizza on a pita is a 'go to' in our house. Pitas make a perfect crust for an individual pizza. This quick and easy pizza has loads of flavor and is a great, healthy alternative to a fast food or processed, packaged lunch/dinner. Be creative with the ingredients! Grilled chicken would be a great addition to this dish if you want to add a healthy protein, and spinach is a natural pairing with feta cheese. We used Tomato Flakes to sweeten this recipe and add great texture, and Dried Basil for its light peppery taste and classic Mediterranean fragrance.
- Preheat oven to 500°F. If using a pizza stone, put in the oven.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 Tablespoons olive oil, Roasted Garlic Flakes, Dried Basil and Tomato Flakes.
- Arrange pitas on a pizza stone or baking sheet. Evenly distribute the tomato mixture and on each pita.
- Crumble feta cheese on top of pizzas.
- Bake at 500°F for about 10 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and top with olives and remaining olive oil.
- Serve hot.